My Recently Visited Services

Lending equipment

Submit a general request to the Service Desk. Use when no other forms apply.

By submitting this you are opting in to receive ITS email notifications about security and service alerts.

Questions or issues regarding the Enterprise Resource Planning Revitalization Project, also known as REV SMC, can be submitted here.

Request help with webforms and Salli access.

Request help with a faculty and/or scholar profile.

Submit an idea for a project.

Use this form to request new user access to Colleague or to request additional access for an existing Colleague user. Supervisors, or Department Managers, are required to fill out this form on behalf of their staff.

Use the TPR to submit a request for purchase of technology with college funds.

Assistance with Colleague, Datatel, Informer, GaelXpress and Student Information Systems (SIS).

Report broken SMC technology.

Request a meeting with an IT Technician to learn about classroom technology.

Provide information to report lost or stolen SMC technology.

Request a technician to disconnect, move and reconnect campus owned technology.

Use this form to request audio visual and media equipment for an event or meeting.